Sunday, May 28, 2006

in the vegetable garden

Well, I think the garden looks a such a mess I can't post a photograph! I hoped the fleece would come off most of the vegetables(beans and peas, I need to get them staked!) by the end of May but is is so windy I am leaving it on. I have run out of space , mostly due to loosing the potato patch, but also from not finishing more beds.
Working mostly with a 'square foot' pattern this is what is growing so far(so 6x means six 1ft squares, not 6 square feet)- 6x beetroot, 8x turnip, 2x chard, 2x dwarf french bean, 7x sugar snap peas, 9x broad bean, 4xgreen manure, 4x spinach, 8x parsnip, 2x shallots, 7x raspberries, 3x red onions, 2x broccolli, 2x cabbage, 2x cauliflower, 2x calabrese, 1x welsh onions, 1x big chives, 1x small chives, 1x white onions, 1x asparagus kale, 8x early peas, 6x carrots, 3x herbs.
I have 6 squares left to plant up, succesional lettuce then winter kale for these hopefully. There are also the potatoes all over in pots and bags, a sink with potaoes, a sink with carrots, climbing beans still to plant out but these will be squeezed into the flower beds. Also courgettes, sweet corn and beans to be planted together into one bed which is half finished; lots of manure and hope for the best! with that I think! And in the green house there are six tomatoe plants and two cucumbers. Some herbs and still three pots of carrots. There is one pumpkin plant which I bought, its still to go somewhere too, at this precise moment I can only think of digging a hole in the grass, filling it with manure and allowing it to sprawl itself where it pleases?

My difficulty in finishing beds is that I want it to be totally perfect. As an indication of the ground state these are the stones that came out of one small hole today, where I planted this squashed looking rhubarb 'cut off'.

11 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

Different stones from my garden, but allways the same: You want to plant one plant and have a bin with stones!

Sigrun

Wildside Musing said...

My, Claire! You are so much more organized than I! Something I ought to aspire to for a little more success, perhaps?

I had better intentions after lots of planning -- then came the sewer project that wiped everything out -- and I threw the plans away and just did everything all cattywampus and left to nature!

So things grow as wildly here as ever; all mixed up with flowers and everything and EVERYWHERE. And yes, pumpkin and squash will sprawl over lawn, I'm sure, as I'm out of space too!

Michael said...

Claire -
I read a review of a book titled, 'The Gin & Tonic Gardener' by Janice Wells. Quite funny. It's for the person who is afraid of being enslaved by their garden. Perhaps someone ought to write, 'The Single Malt Garden' for your part of the world! I'd be glad to help with the, ah... research part!

Cheers!

patsy said...

sound like you have a lot of work yet. are the potatoes to plant, it is to late here to plant potatoes. your climate must be different there. i enjoy your pictures. hope you have a good holiday.

clairesgarden said...

Sigrun, I think the garden grows more stones that anythng else. I have bent a few garden forks getting them out!! My friend can dig a new bed in her garden in one go, no stones and lovely soil....so jealous!!
Wildside, I'm glad you've reminded me I do not have to be super neat or planned to a T. this year I was determined to be super organised,part of that is other peoples opinions on straight rows. . . I have managed to keep a good plan of what has been planted on graph paper. so I am going out today to get the pumpkin in the lawn with some flowers next to it.
Michael, its only 9.30am here but gin and tonic instead of weeding sounds a marvellous idea, I only drink whisky in coffee so maybe 'gardening with a cup of tea' might be more the style here!! although theres a few paddlers I kow would help you out round the campfire with that one!
Patsy, the potatoes are growing in the bags, the bags are full of top soil to go in the garden, and i have planted the potatoes in them, I may get some small ones soon. I could still plant potatoes here if I had any room and they would crop in October, I think we are much cooler here, we had hailstones on Saturday. I only have today as an extra day off, I was glad of the long lie in bed this morning but its back to work tomorrow.

patsy said...

the reason he had a inventory was because he possible had depts. his possion were sold at public auction so you might call it a sale bill now. in that day a wife did not inherit unless the man gives her things in his will. notice in the will he gives the slaves freedom and says everything to be sold and the money to go to his children. course Sarah got half of his poperty in court in 1807. that was what was so amazing about what she did because women in that day had very little to say about what their husband did with his property.

Granny said...

Thanks for visiting and your comments.

Do you get the reruns over there? We have Star Trek in one
reincarnation or another running here at all hours of the day and
night.

My favorite captain was Janeway (Voyager) and she didn't even make the list.

I finally got you on my blogroll. Hope you have more visitors to your
beautiful garden. I don't often comment but I see every post.

Annie said...

In the hills of Arkansas there are so many stones in the ground that gardeners could spend their entire lives digging them out. As a result there are quite a few raised beds for garden plants around here.

May your garden be bountiful.

Lowa said...

YUMMY! Sugar Snap peas!

YOu are a hard worker. Too bad about all the rocks:(

clairesgarden said...

Patsy, I wondered about that, thankyou.
Granny, thanks for adding me onto your blogroll, I've only the standard five chanels and no star trek on just now, cable and satelite have them on all the time, I have some bits and pieces on dvd but need to save for more!
Annie, I have always just dug out stones but raised beds do sound like a good idea, the stones have all been used in some construction or other.
Lowa, sugar snap peas are yummy, I am just thinking of going out to stake them now the wind is not so strong .

lilymarlene said...

As I dig out stones in my beds I fling them on the paths between. Hopefully there will eventually be enough to smother the weeds.
Your garden is looking very fruitful...great!