Friday, July 21, 2006

focus on flowers

it hasn't rained yet, it darkens over with clouds which clear away, glimpses of warm sunshine and the clouds are back.
very dark holly hocks, grown from seed last year but there are only two like this. some smaller ones have not flowered yet and I think they are pink. I have been organised enough to get a tray of seedlings going to overwinter, and have some next year too.
the pollen really shows up against the petals

I love the colours of this hawkweed, it has lots of common names, I think fox and cubs is the most used one.
I found this nigella growing in a crack in the path on the other side of the raspberry canes, its a bit difficult to get into focus
not quite focused either but how fascinating

4 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Oh, Claire, I'm jealous of your hollyhocks! Night Watchman, is it? They get rust badly here, so have settled for native foxgloves as a visual replacement...

Nigella, now I've got that growing madly everywhere. Good thing, love it, gorgeous blue petals, then very interesting striped pods after it has been spent.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Claire, I love this Holyhocks very much, and have had the same than you. The plants are not an bianual, they are perenials.

Sigrun

Lowa said...

Very very nice! I have never seen those that dark before, looks amazing! Yes, the pollen shows up easily for sure.

The Hawkweed is GORGEOUS!

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, I dont remember the name of them, they are getting rust so will be taken out after flowering.
Sigrun, I will not leave them in because of the rust so grow from seed this year to flower next year.
Lowa, its about the darkest one I've seen. the hawkweed is a great colour but being a wild flower has lots of leaves and these flowers are less than an inch across, nice bright colour so worth it.