Sunday, November 25, 2007

greenhouse cleaning

there was a light frost this morning but it was a nice enough day to clean the inside of the greenhouse. I have washed down the inside of the glass with disinfectant and thrown whats left on the floor. sometimes this leaves the glass streaky but if I think it needs to be 'clean' then I'll do that in the spring.
how much stuff can you cram into one small greenhouse? this isn't even all of it!
future reference for benches: they need to be plastic and they need to be tall. the black one you can see is just about ideal. the tall wooden one was made for me when the greenhouse was 'new', its legs are starting to discolour at the bottom from the damp. there are two of the smaller wooden benches, they are too low to work at comfortably and the bottom of their legs suggest they may need to be binned after another years use.
everything is scrubbed with disinfectant before being put back in. why is that in the spring you never have enough seedling trays yet I now cannot move in my bathroom with the amount of stuff waiting to be washed?

12 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

There plenty of cleaning to do around here.
We got all of our spring and summer items up.
There calling for snow later on today.

clairesgarden said...

Dora, theres always something to be getting on with outside, I need to tackle the shed at some point too. hope your snow doesn't get too bad, we've not had any yet.

Wildside said...

Wow! I see you've been busy.

We've had some freezes (enough to coat water with a layer of ice), but the chooks are staying toasty and their water unfrozen up in the greenhouse. I'll reclaim it at a later date, I guess!

Frankie said...

I wish I has a greenhouse!

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, I sometimes sit in the greenhouse in the winter just to see some 'outside' suring the cold wet. surely your chooks wouldn't mind if you took a chair in and joined them for a while?
Frankie, you will need to speak very nicely to santa, or the bank manager! or look about and scrounge one like I did!

patsy said...

i always wanted a green house. you could grow so many things early. do you have a problem with pest and such in the green house?

clairesgarden said...

Patsy, I was lucky that someone was giving this away. and I just had to buy some replacment glass for one side. I get some greenfly but I try to always grow marigolds and that keep them off the tomatoes. the disinfectant is mainly to stop the green mould growing on the glass and the floor and to stop any fungus build up that would affect seedlings in the spring.

Anonymous said...

Wow you have been very busy. You have spurred me into action. sara from farmingfriends

kate said...

It's amazing to see how many things you can cram into your greenhouse. I like the table ... it would be great having a greenhouse like this one!

clairesgarden said...

Sara, I've still a shed to do if that means your volunteering?
Kate, it doesn't look like much when its all in a tidy, but spread out there its a lot.

Kerri said...

Amazing how small it actually is! I thought it was much bigger from your previous photos. You sure can cram a lot into that small space. Good girl doing all that cleaning. I know how you don't like to do housework. Does this qualify as HW? I need to tidy up the garage/hubby's workshop and store all my gardening stuff in my allocated space (another shed), but it's too cold outside at the moment!!
I wish I could scrounge a greenhouse from somewhere!

clairesgarden said...

Keri, its 6ft by 7ft, I do cram a lot in, thats why theres so much to clear out!!
and its nothing like housework!! it was outside and I got as much disinfectant on me as I did the glass!!