Friday, January 20, 2006

space for gardening(photos from last year)

Very important, brick based area about 6ft by 4ft for storing pots and providing seating area for supervisors. . . Tansy on the left came from the cat rescue about 18months ago and Daisy on the right who I have had for six years from a wee kitty. Matching bookends! The windows behind belong to my downstairs neighbor.

To make use of all space available the beans and peas were planted in the border to grow up 'wigwams' amongst the flowers and shrubs. My flat is behind this fence.


Just behind the veggy beds is a 2ft wide bed containing shrubs behind that is a concrete car park. The flats on the other side behind their nice wooden fence are very similar to the one I live in. The main veggy growing part of the garden has two 4ftx8ft beds, one 3ftx8ft bed, one 4ftx4ft bed, another 8x4 bed is going where the flowers can be seen in the forground of this picture. I also have plans to put a cold frame in front of my brick storage/seating area, I have been given a metal framed safety glass window 3ftx5ft so thats the size its going to be. I have a 6ftx7ft greenhouse and a 6ftx4ft shed(too small!). Two sides of the garden are onto road and one side onto carpark at the back, so its not got much shelter and everybody can look in. If I can I'll scan a plan and post it at a later date. I have another area of garden I use at a friends house which is about 12ftx20ft(see earlier photo under 'impatience'), the soil there is amazing and I grow a lot there. My soil is rubbish so I dig out stones and rubble and replace it with manure and compost, its taken four years to get to this stage. Mind you, I am often to be found sitting with the supervisors having a wee cup of tea and looking at the garden in my minds eye. . . .and I ought to mention the occasional coffee maker Rosie who is 15 and a half and although she helps at my friends market garden she refuses to help here in case she is seen. . . .

11 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Beautiful, Claire!

Wildside Musing said...

Wow, it's 6:45 AM here, but look at the time it posts! Your day is much further along than mine!

clairesgarden said...

hi wildside, yes I have a friend who lives near Seattle and I think when I phone her at bed-time she's just finishing her lunch! also she's hotter in the summer and colder in the winter but she does NOT MISS all the rain, ha.

HomemakerAng said...

THANKS for posting these beautiful photos and all the valuable info!

grannyfiddler said...

your pictures make me very hungry for spring. i pore over the seed catalogues, dreaming of spring-to-come. all is white out my door. we do have the loveliest golden light early and late in the day, though, that puts warm highlights on the snow and makes the shadows blue.

grannyfiddler said...

your pictures make me very hungry for spring. i pore over the seed catalogues, dreaming of spring-to-come. all is white out my door. we do have the loveliest golden light early and late in the day, though, that puts warm highlights on the snow and makes the shadows blue.

grannyfiddler said...

your pictures make me very hungry for spring. i pore over the seed catalogues, dreaming of spring-to-come. all is white out my door. we do have the loveliest golden light early and late in the day, though, that puts warm highlights on the snow and makes the shadows blue.

grannyfiddler said...

i tried several times to post that last one, and was rejected. then, on acceptance, all 3 went up. so sorry. i'm having a bad keyboard day... had to call the I.T. dept at the head office to log on this morning. they're convinced i just couldn't get my password right, but it was realy cyber-sabotage.

clairesgarden said...

no worries, computers are marvellous when they work, and then somebody irritating leans over your shoulder and says, just push that one there. . . .
well. . . .!!

Jim said...

Your garden is beautiful and making me long for spring too!

And if the weather here doesn't change real soon spring will be very very early this year.

clairesgarden said...

the weather here is very changable, one day its mild enough to dig the garden and then two days ago the thermometer in the green house showed -6c which is about 16f, brrr,, chilly!