Sunday, April 24, 2022

todays garden

Nice weather all week which lasted into the weekend,  I got  lots of laundry outside yesterday to dry, which keeps me happy.  Seeded in the greenhouse in two medium pots are Carrot Little Fingers and Carrot Royal Chantenay. I tried to space the seeds out but its difficult.. I will thin/eat them as they grow.

Seeded directly into the middle bed, under the pallet collar/shower door ''cloche''. Carrot Ideal, Yellow Beetroot Boldor, Red Beetroot Detroit, Parsnip Hollow Crown and Turnip Sweetbell.( have marked these as 25th because I guessed the date... lol) . 

The beetroot and parsnips are more or less 'station sown' , but the carrot and turnip seeds get more of a ''row'' thing going on because they are so small and run away from me, which means they need careful checking and thinning if necessary. ... 

Beetroot , parsnip and turnip are in small blocks about 16 inches square, and the carrots are 16 inches one way, three feet across... ish... because the wooden frame is a bit smaller than three feet. . And I must try to remember to draw plans this year because it really does not stay in my head from year to year, never has.....

Thinly scattered rock dust before the seeding and I marked out my 'squares' with calcified seaweed. I think these things do well as long term/slow release additives. The bed is dug over with horse poop so thats where most of the ''oomph'' will come from. 

In the bottom right corner of that photo is a lot of white horse hair.. I've been putting bags and bags of it into the garden which all the neighborhood birds. large and small, have been taking for their nests. its amazing watching them but have failed to get any photos. point the camera and they fly away...  


 

2 comments:

WILDSIDE said...

looking good, claire! right now we are enjoying some outside things like garlic greens and oregano (it has been extraordinarilly chilly for this time of year) but are truly grateful for all our indoor windowsill plantings this year -- so far from that: shallot greens, pea shoots, cilantro, lettuces, microgreens (all sorts of wee green things), beetroot leaves, thyme, lemongrass, basil, onion greens, future ginger greens... there could be -- and will be -- MORE!!!

Hope you are well today.

WILDSIDE said...

p.s. focus and do on anything that keeps you happy!
(within reason, that is...)