Wednesday, October 04, 2006

its a good day

really nice weather today, carrots, little turnips and a few beetroot harvested. note the round lid showing I picked more weeds than veg!!

not supermarket worthy, but worth much more to me.

the courgette still sending up flowers into the sunshine.
I have cleared a million spiders from their greenhouse haven, they will probably sneak back in later when they are sure I have stopped sweeping. I have taken some still flowering pot plants into the greenhouse to keep them going a bit longer. the weather is surprisingly warm for October but nights are chilly. I have a new sheet of glass to replace one broken roof pane but I will need to recruit somebody tall to help.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! The supermarket can't have 'em - they should be so lucky! I've been eating out of our garden (still - that's a little unusual here), and loving those fresh, fresh carrots.

Wildside Musing said...

"not supermarket worthy, but worth much more to me"

Oh, I know just what you mean!

Anonymous said...

i think those carrots are right pretty.

clairesgarden said...

Hooray! we love home grown carrots!!

Kerri said...

Claire, your carrots are beautiful with their lumps and bumps :) Ours didn't even sprout with all the wet! There's always next year....
The courgette flower is lovely! Our late zucchini plants that are blooming now look extremely healthy and the courgettes are firm and lovely. The plants usually have mildew at this point.

Kati said...

well, supermarket standards don't quite have it right, anyway. there is just no way to beat the taste of sweet sweet carrots right out of the ground!

Bob said...

I would prefer to eat your carrots to any from the supermarket. I know what you mean about weeds, they seem to like this time of the year better than most things.

clairesgarden said...

Bob, I think the weeds like my garden all year! think its the manure, also think thats why the carrots go squigley.