Saturday, November 04, 2006

new backrest

See one of the important things about kayaking is to look good , and the Nordkapp(origional mold thankyou, none of this modern altered stuff) helps in that department a lot. Yes, it is very yellow.


new backrest fitted, thankyou Forbes!! it has been fitted 'upside down' but I need it that way as its an ocean cockpit(wee) and I have to slide in off the back deck(big bum!)

I recently took the kayak to work, put it down in the car park and sat in it while one of the chiropractors stuck her hand down the back of my trousers to see what the old backrest(a 2" web strap) was doing. You need not get embarassed easily!! She decided it pressed too hard onto two particular vertabrae and was a large part of the 'sore back' thing that was happening at that time. The new backrest covers a much larger area(that'll be the big bum again) and is quite padded so its spreading the 'load'. I found it very comfortable today, I paddled by myself( which I dont usually do) along the splash(big wall along the esplanade in Greenock) and back, enough for a stretch and some fresh air. Very nice it was too.

No friends available to paddle with as they have all gone off to Loch Etive for the weekend, I have to stay at home as Kirsty's wee girl Kelsey is being christened tomorrow. I have been 'booked' to take lots of pictures so I better get my batteries and spares on charge before I forget.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun to know you've been out paddling, Claire! I haven't been out for a while. I'd better get a move on!

clairesgarden said...

it was nice to have the cobwebs blown away!

Anonymous said...

I fear there isn't a seat big enough - I'll never kayak! Have fun at the christening - and bring us pictures!

Anonymous said...

My mom got to kayak with a more outdoorsie friend around our beautiful English Bay and loved it.

There is this amazing kayak/camping route you can do here up in an area called the Sunshine Coast..you have to do a bit of 'portaging' but it is worth it...the scenery is spectacular..some of the most beautiful coast in BC.

I really want to do it one year.

clairesgarden said...

Crunchy Carpets, you get to see some amazing countryside out kayaking, where few other people go, I like that.

derrick said...

Wow, that's yellow all right! Went out paddling yesterday. Warm sun, warm water (cooling pond. . )nice currents. . .

Bob said...

I've always fancied a go at kayaking, just something gentle no white water stuff cos I scare easily! I bet its fun.

Peggy said...

Gorgeous boat! And good for you getting out for a bit of solo paddling--a little alone-time on the water can be very peaceful, eh?

Peggy

clairesgarden said...

adcap, I thought I'd left youa reply yesterday but maybe not? I was offering to find you a nice stable kayak and tow you, you just need to be able to swim in freezing water, you'll be fine.
Derrick, glad you got out for a nice warm paddle, I had on full thermals and waterproofs - no hat though, I'll save that for when it snows. . . . .
UKBob, you shoulud give it a go, I'm sure you could find a local club. I dont do the white water stuff either, a nice calm day on the sea or a loch suits me fine.
Peggy, very peacefull but I do like to chat, I had to content myself with shouting hallo to the walkers on the esplanade who waved at me.

clairesgarden said...

Madcap, you seem to have come out as 'adcap' above, I'm blaming the computer!!

Maggi said...

Claire,
This is my first ever blog posting and I'm glad it's to you.Have read all entries and enjoyed them. For all you other guys who regularly blog-on, I've just discovered that my sometime paddling buddy has a blog site and also that she has just celebrated her 40th birthday very, very quietly. Happy birthday Claire and love your wee blog site( if that's what you call it... don't know too much about these things.) Very cool.
See ya soon,
Maggi

clairesgarden said...

Maggie, welcome to blogland! and thankyou!