Saturday, December 02, 2006

colours in the cold

An early start for me today to meet Fiona and young Angus to do some shopping. The Vango Sale and we were there early, queing in the rain to get in, elbows at the ready to grab some bargains. I got a waterproof jacket and a small rucksack for everyday, which I needed; and a fleece cardigan, socks, gloves, thermal long johns(or janes as they're for me) which I could have lived without but they were bargains see. Marvellous.
Fiona had a look at my blog and seemed to quite like it , although she said I do not 'ramble on' as much as I do in 'real life', and there is no swearing, which does happen in 'real life'.
My apologies if I am a bit different here but I am trying to make sense and not offend anyone.
That's all the explanation you're getting doll, and I hope you'll keep reading!

A quick garden check when I got home today, the light was just starting to fade and I caught a glimpse of colour, this little hellebore at the back of the vegetable beds. photographed from underneath
I thought I'd have a look to see if there was anything else
a holly with pale berries
a primula, this one keeps flowering all year it seems
a monarda
bright little calendula, flowers much smaller than in the summer
and I think this is a sweet william.
It was nice and cheery to find things still flowering.
And as I would say to those who know me 'Marvellous, Sure!!'

6 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Actual you got color.
Everything is covered with a blanket of snow.

Michael said...

Good to see you've picked up some warm things, Claire, what with winter coming on. We've had snow all day here making things nice and white, but a bit dicey on the roads.

Kerri said...

Oh lovely Claire! I especially love the top photo of the Hellebore. I had no idea they would bloom now. Amazing to have all these blooms still. Thanks for sharing that little bit of cheer.
Sounds like you have some fun friends :)

clairesgarden said...

Peppylady, it was nice to find them flowering, I'm hoping the snow stays away as long as possible but I do wish the rain would slow down a bit!!
Michael, I sometimes think I pick up too many things, but at least these are all useful and warm.
Kerri, the inside of the hellebore is just such a surprise, they always nod their heads to the ground too, so you can't see.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Such beautiful colors, Claire. Thanks for sharing them. Here, the predominant color is white. Pretty in it's own way, and yet I still love to see bits of other colors.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

BTW... I think many of us likely "tone down" our "real life" selves when we post to the world wide web. Words that "slip out" when we speak don't when we type. Besides, we tend to be different in "real life" too for different occasions... for example, when with certain friends I use words that I would never use in church or while visiting my dear Mumsy. As a kid I saw Mumsy take a wooden spoon to my brother for writing "the F word" on my sisters pencil case. She's tiny, but she's dangerous, lol. Actually, it's a respect thing.

Also, I was wondering... do you live in the highlands or the lowlands? Just curious as I've always wanted to visit Scotland.