Monday, April 03, 2006

monday morning

The bigger daffodils are coming out now, I love them, I have delayed digging out the path as some of these are coming up in between the rows of bricks where it is to go.
Tulip Scarlet Baby flowering their hearts out in the cold frame, the weather is so windy and wet I think I'll leave them in there or they'll get ruined. Ihave planted sweet corn into toilet rolls, I did this last year and they grew well and transplanted with no problems ; however I had left them so long, being disorganised, they did not have enough summer left to mature enough to fruit(is corn a fruit?). Flowerpots overwintering in the greenhouse have now all been moved outside to take their chances with the weather as I need the room. I will do the same with the cold frame in a couple of weeks too.
I have recovered from my trip on Saturday and am going down to the club in Greenock tonight after work, they paddle regularly on Monday and Tuesday evenings. Hopefully we'll get out for an hour or so before it gets dark, unless everybody has gone on their Easter Holidays and I am the only person there!!

9 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Your tulips are lovely and thanks for the tip on re-use for toilet paper rolls; that seems better than what I'd been contemplating. I've experimented with making a couple cloches out of old juice bottles, but unfortunately with all the sewer digging, the garden started up to now is pretty much gone. Will start again once we've finished with this mess and all will be better than before! (So I keep telling myself...)

Have fun in the kayak!!! :-)

Madcap said...

Wildside said my lines!

Yes, those tulilps are very showy, and that's a great idea with the t.p. rolls.

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, tulips bulbs were a present, I must e-mail the giver and thank her again, sorry your garden is in transit, perhaps though, its best it happened just now, in the middle of summer with everything growing would have been really heartaching, poor plants!! I did not get out to paddle, the wind was a bit windy! boat stowed safely in club shed now.
Madcapmum, the tulips are a real brightness, its an exciting time of year. I run out of seed trays and pots and end up using anything and everything, I currently have two baking trays holding seed trays. . .no, not old ones, the ones from the kitchen!

Wildside Musing said...

Too bad about the kayaking... LOL (about the baking trays)! (And yes, everything must be for a purpose or at least have a bright side! I'm not crying too hard about the garden chaos; this could have happened at a far worse time... For instance, when I had customers depending upon me!)

grannyfiddler said...

i have your fabulous close-up photo of the hellebore on my desktop today. it's been raining here. a warm, very welcome rain that didn't last nearly long enough. but the air has that fresh first rain of the season smell. it's heavenly.

clairesgarden said...

Grannyfiddler, the rain here is freezing sleet and snow and very nearly horizontal! brrr!

Wildside Musing said...

Yikes, Claire! I'd better be grateful for this rather nice spell of weather we're having... Trying to beat the rain in digging the ditch to lay the new sewer line!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tulips Claire. I've never seen this variety before but if I can get my hand on some for next autumn I will. Blooming marvellous...

clairesgarden said...

I think I got them in a garden centre, hope they flower this year too!