Thursday, April 06, 2006

homeless potatoes

This narcissus bulbocodium is just coming into bloom, this photograph from last year.
A very frustrating week as I have lost my spare bit of garden, it is sold( or for sale) as my friend is retiring and moving. As a result of this I have some very homeless potatoes! Most of the earlies 'Red Duke of York' are now planted in bags, buckets, pots and a kitchen sink(old white pottery variety!)around my garden. Some earlies have gone to a good home, some are still homeless and the entire maincrop of 'Record' are still lurking under my bed, I know a couple of people who may take them so I am not worried yet. I may get some more into old bags with the garden compost which is due to be emptied out but I am not spending any money on them(by buying pots and compost). The weather is cold, with rain off, then on, then off, then. . . . . variable!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a very lovely blog you have here. I found you by way of kerri/colors of the garden. So sorry to hear you are losing part of your garden. Oh if only I could take your potatoes from you...hope they find a home.

Take care,
Connie

Wildside Musing said...

Oh, how sad! Did you get much warning before the sale? Anyway to stretch your current yard? I find myself wanting to help rescue your poor potatoes... Ha! But here I am a gazillion miles away!

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, I was expecting to use the spare garden this year at least, at one point it was all the good ground I had but my garden has improved to good usable standard now so I am not too unhinged by it, if they are going to build on it(knock one house down and build three?) I am going round with a van and taking the topsoil, five years of my horse manure have gone into that and its marvellous stuff. I'll get the spade into action and make sure I have another bed in by next year.
Connie and Rob, thankyou for the visit, I think several folk are lining up for the potatoes now, I'm encouraging people into getting a couple of buckets each and 'having a go at growing' so I could be starting a trend. . .

Unknown said...

if i were closer i would rescue your homeless potaotes.

clairesgarden said...

Dragonfly, I just tried to use them for barter, a patient man has plastered the hole in the hall ceiling, but he wants money not potatoes he says!! ha, he's never had a potato straight from the plant then?!!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Claire, I'm sorry, that you lost a part of your garden!

Sigrun

Kerri said...

Yes, homegrown potatoes are wonderful. That man doesn't know what he's missing! I hope you find a home for them. You definitely need to reclaim that horse manure. Wish we could loan you our tractor with the bucket loader. It would save your poor back. Love your beautiful daffodil photo!

Sandy said...

Homeless potatoes...how sad:(

clairesgarden said...

have just had a home offered for potatoes, may manage to offload some seeds on them as well! sure you can never have too many. . .