Friday, January 13, 2006

25 miles from the sea


Wildside you mentioned sea-kayaking!
I have been paddling for about 15 years, these pictures are from last year. the first picture taken by my friend Tom from his boat, is off Oban, with the island of Kerrera in the distance. the second is with Dave on the River Clyde at Greenock. twice a year there they have a sponsored swim at the narrowest point which is just over a mile, every swimmer has a sea-kayak for company, it helps them keep going in the right direction and to hold onto for a rest or if they need taking out of the water they can hang on till the safety boat gets there. my boat is a Valley Knordkapp, an old design but still considered one of the best, my paddle is a cranked Lendal composite. we often go away with the boats loaded up with gear and we will camp somewhere isolated that you cant get to except by boat, its great I love it, I only wish I was nearer.

3 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Thanks for sharing your kayaking photos, Claire! That's exciting and they're so nice... May be it'll help me get my gumption up for getting out on the water again soon! (After all, for me, the water and launch site is just 4 blocks down the hill and launch is now finally open again after being closed all Autumn until December). But, wait, here comes the excuse: our weather has just been terrible lately! (OK, that's really not a good enough excuse!) ;-)

Happy paddling to you!

Jim said...

Hi-

Great looking blog you've got going here Claire. I love what you've posted do far, the kayaking pictures, your friends sweet looking garden with such nice brickwork, and yes I too love the way the wind shapes trees like that.

Thanks for visiting Earth Home Garden and it looks like you've connected with some of our favorite blog buddies too!

Jim

clairesgarden said...

thankyou for your kind comments, I have to say thankyou to you all too! I have been inspired by reading others blogs for a long time now, I was just thinking of getting a wall chart to mark on where you all are, seasons and weather being so different. time zones too!