Monday, July 16, 2012

if you go down to the woods today....

friends inspecting a fairly new hive to find the queen bee, it had been noticed that there was not much activity with the bees. I am a good distance away using my zoom lens......
 after giving them some smoke, all the hive comes into sections and the combs all lift out seperately.
 each section inspected and no queen bee to be seen, there are also very few bees so the thought is that she has left and taken bees with her.
some of the cells have grubs in them so one of them may grow into a new queen bee..... story to be updated then!

3 comments:

Madcap said...

I'm very impressed with your zoom-power, especially in that last shot. Hope they get a new queen! I'm trying to recruit someone to set up bees on my property so we can watch the process first-hand before trying it ourselves.

Honest, the captcha word is "hivelong"!

clairesgarden said...

they come up with some weiro words and number combinations, sometimes I'm sure I don't even type them right and they get accepted anyway. would have loved to get in way closer to really get some sharp close up photo's but really would need suited up for protection... or I could spend thousands on a loverly surperduper superstar camera.... nah, too heavy to carry.
if I am visiting again then I can maybe ask to get suited up and see if I can work the camera with the big gloves and the head-cover-thingy.

WILDSIDE said...

Very cool! We have some wild native bees that have taken up residence in our attic. Was worried and called the pest guy, but he says they're a benefit and blessing we should keep as they are helping to pollinate our garden! (We need all the help we can get -- LOL)