Monday, February 25, 2008

books review

can you have too many gardening books? not till the shelves are full!! and I think there's just about enough space here to squeeze in these two books I've been asked to look at. they are from a new Royal Horticultural Society series Small Steps to Sucess, published by Dorling Kindersley. they contain a surprising amount of useful information and some inspirational photography. I really like them, a good read for a wet afternoon, we seem to be back to the cold wet yuck here.
the Easy-care Garden, Jenny Hendy. this book starts off with some beautiful pictures of garden types, such as 'wildlife', courtyard', 'formal' and others to inspire you. the chapters that follow give 'shopping lists' of which plants to buy to get the particular look you like; information on how and where to plant them and what to do to care for them. there's also useful information sections on soil types, pests and diseases and a further gallery of beautiful plants to think about planting.
these pages look at 'Right Plant, Right Place', full of 'I want that plant' photographs! following pages describe how to create raised beds, mixed borders and container gardening with all the information you'll need to care for them. an idea I particularly liked was for an 'Aromatic Herb Border', a great ides for a vegetable grower looking for inspiration.
Shrubs and Small Trees, Simon Akeroyd. more clear and bright photography to get those ideas going! this one also provides planting inspirations to get the look you're after. there is soil, pruning, feeding, clearing. planting, staking instruction throughout. there is also a good section on pruning and caring for fruting trees and bushes.
how about a 'Fruit Border', shopping list provided with planting, soil and care information to get the best results. another one to interest home vegetable growers! there are other planting ideas for which shrubs and trees to plant to carry the gardening interest through the seasons. very useful.

10 comments:

Mia said...

Fruit Border. I like the sound of that!

Frankie said...

From my days as a Bookshop Manager I highly rate DK titles. They are well laid out, visual and great to have on the shelf... Looks like these will go on the wishlist

clairesgarden said...

Mia, if you check out Frankies blog you can see her 'fruit and nut' border, think she thought of it first!
Frankie, they're really nice books, I was impressed. love your new hedge!!

Kerri said...

Nothing like a good gardening book on a wet afternoon Claire. These two look interesting, and inspirational photography is impossible to resist.
I hope you get some warmth and sunshine soon!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Today I was cleaning and do some purging in one of closet and I have tons of cook book and I though I should give some of these away.
I couldn't do it.

clairesgarden said...

Kerri, reading about gardening when I can't get into the garde, next best thing, still under gale force wind and rain here...
Dora, I can give books to people I think will appreciate them but its difficult.

Unknown said...

You know what to do when your bookshelves are full, Claire--buy more shelves! I'm about to do that, myself. I remind myself that my only bad habits are books, cats and plants...:-)

And I don't have any of these...so I'll NEED more shelves for more books!

Anonymous said...

These look and sound like really great books. Lots of good info as well as photos to enjoy. You have quite the gardening library there. I love books of all kinds and have shelves and shelves and boxes of them.

clairesgarden said...

Jodi, I have no room left for any more bookcases!!
Alice, I mangaged to cut the books down slightly so got rid of the ones not need, all my bookcases are full so its a case of one in, one out!

gfid said...

no room for more bookcases? have you checked the lou? i call mine the 'reading room' and stock it with a shelf full of books that have lots of lovely illustrations... especially gardening books.