Monday, August 21, 2006

monday

Mondays aren't always the best things when its back to work after a nice weekend, having swapped and worked extra last week I have today off so I am feeling very rested and cheerful. Some heavy rain during the night has left the garden nice and fresh this morning, it will probably cloud over but I had a nice barefoot wander on the grass in some sunshine. this gladioli had to be tied up after blowing overtwo days ago, it seems to be ok, I had some really nice plain yellow ones last year but they have not come out yet.
a stray basil plant in amongst the bizzy-lizzy, I am wondering if I spilt basil seeds into the potting compost, or in the tray I use to pot up as lots of basils have popped up here and there and in amongst other things, I always think of it as a greenhouse or window sill plant but here it is, surviving the scottish summer outside.

10 comments:

derrick said...

wow, amazing color

Wildside Musing said...

That's my surprise gladiola! I'd swear it.

Basil grows ok here (but not tremendous at all for me), so I'd think it'd grow outside there too... Possible.

Madcap said...

Oh, I like that girly gladiola!

Granny said...

Basil is one of the few things I can grow. Mint is the other.

Unknown said...

Your photos are a joy - and good old Basil - he gets in everywhere if you don't watch out - though he doesn't much like growing where I live.

Now Minty - is just rampant = but I love him.

You sound just like me - barefoot in the grass - in fact I drive barefoot in the summer too!

I love reading all your posts - brilliant.

Michael said...

Funny, I had a good friend at univeristy named Basil. He too would show up in the most unlikely places, often to the horror of others present. Popping into weddings uninvited was one of his favourite stunts. Perhaps it was all the flowers present that made him do it. He disappeared from view in Greece years ago.

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, it came from extras from somebodys garden so I have no idea of its name, , the basil outside is a bit strange, global warming?
Derrick, I really liked the colour, which is why I scrounged it.
Madcapmum, its girly, and I love it!
Granny, hooray for herbs!!
Allotment Lady, thankyou, I often garden barefoot and friends laugh at my dirty feet.
Michael, I hope your friend's not still in greece, its reported on the news that they're having bad bush fires. weddings are always marvellous for cake.

Wildside Musing said...

I hear Greek weddings are especially marvellous -- was invited to one once as a friend of a friend of the sister of the groom (is that related enough?!), but wasn't good timing to fly over from here to there due to work & other commitments. Reports back was that attendees had a good adventure as well as good food too. Darn it all!

Anonymous said...

i swear you and all of the other bloggers out there take the most amazing pictures of flowers. Mine don't look that good. is there a class on this than i have missed somehow?

Kerri said...

My glads have provided us with lots of enjoyment. They're such beautiful flowers. I love that double impatien. My bizzy lizzies (singles) actually sowed themselves last year like crazy. Not this year though...they don't want to grow much at all. It's disappointing.