Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ellie Smith writes....

my old greenhouse is frozen closed!


here we have a guest post from Ellie Smith.....

"Remember a greenhouse/ glasshouse is not just a storage place,
With a long stretch of a mighty cold winter this year, gardening has not been at the front of everyone’s mind. As winter begins to bite in December, the darkest month – plant growth slows accordingly and a little patience is called for until the days slowly begin to lengthen again. However this does not mean we cannot look forward to preparing for greenhouse growing in the spring. It may seem far too early but spring is only three months away and as we know, time sure does fly.
Most greenhouses will be neglected during the frosty- wintery months and can fall into a dangerous trap of being used as storage hubs. Excess clutter and garden furniture is usually thrown into the greenhouse to be kept out of view. The danger of doing so is not being troubled to clear it at a later date.
Try not to fall into this habit- remember it won’t be long until the greenhouse will act as a beautiful feature in the garden and the perfect home for blooming flowers and tasty vegetables. Setting the heaters to a temperature that keeps your greenhouse ticking over and running smoothly makes sure you are ready to go.
Spring arrives in the greenhouse long before it makes its presence felt in the rest of the garden. By March many plants will be busily putting on new growth but, at the same time, these increasing temperatures also bring the transformed threat of pests, as they too begin to warm up again. Warm days and cold nights are typical of spring, which makes keeping the temperature in the greenhouse a challenge. The spring greenhouse is a hive of commotion in more ways than one – and a few regular tasks now should set things up for the rest of the year.
Give your greenhouse a good clean but make sure you just use Soap and water as you do not want to remove the UV stabilising coating. Some cleaning products contain harmful chemicals that can destroy the polycarbonate covering.
Staging should be disinfected along with the pots and seed trays ready for new growth. Once you have done so, you are ready for new growing stages. Automatic vent openers and automatic door openers come in handy.
Pouring freezing water over seedlings can shock them so remember to fill up a watering can and leave it in the greenhouse to warm up. "
Author: Ellie Smith, on behalf of Hartley Botanic.



thankyou for the lovely post Ellie!!


and you can click on the link to look at the fabulous greehouses from Hartley Botanic...put one on your Christmas Wish List!

7 comments:

Steve said...

My greenhouse is certainly being neglected in this cold weather...

No gloves in the world would keep my fingers warm enough for gardening in December...

Bonnie said...

I wish I had a greenhouse. My grandfather ran a greenhouse when I was growing up and yes, it was used for storage during the winter. I turn my back enclosed porch into my own little solarium (minus the sun)

clairesgarden said...

Steve, I agree with you completely!! longing for spirng!!
Bonnie, I've got my seed trays and pots stored in my greenhouse, they got cleaned and put in there, and will probably clean-as-used again. I have my wee shed for everything else, why is the shed never big enough??

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Claire... I send you love and wishes for a most Merry Christmas and a 2011 filled with Joy, Peace and Love for you and yours.

gfid said...

"spring is only 3 months away" .... in my dreams. but we're now past the darkest day. things will brighten up soon. i'll be watching for your first signs of spring, to give my snow-drifted soul some solace of green.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Claire, with days getting longer and the new year upon us, you will soon be working in your garden again... and I hopefully riding the highways on a new trike (3 wheeled motorcycle).

Best wishes to you and yours for a wonderful 2011!!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I agree sanitation and organization are important to keep the greenhouse going.

Happy New Year.