Wednesday, March 15, 2006

too many seed trays

A photograph of the greenhouse when it was 'new to me', oct '04. It seems to feature a lot in my blog and that is because I think its great!! Also it is easy to lean out of the door and take its picture!

Greenhouse temp at 0C last night, baby onions(they look like blades of grass) are covered at night time and left open during the day. The lid of my small coldframe has broken under the weight of snow, it is plastic, so the two bits are only half covering the remaining plants. The cold frame will need to be emptied and the lid fixed for when stuff needs potted on from the greenhouse. I had a lot of garden pots sheltering in the greenhouse so they are being decanted outside and covered with fleece.

seeds planted this month so far are ;;
Herbs;; Basil, Parsley, Dill, Coriander, Chervil, Cat-nip
Vegetables;; Rocket, Lollo Rosso, Broad Bean, Butternut Squash, Broccolli and Calabrese, Cabage, Cauliflower, Spinach
Flowers;; Erythronium, Dodecatheon, Cerinthe Major and Minor, Viola, Anemone, Dianthus, Scizanthus, Aquilega and loads of Sweet Peas .

Lots of seeds still to plant but I like to plant a lot of stuff straight in. I am re-using plant labels and a lot of last years dates(when I plant something I put the name and date on) are end of April. Also still to get potatoes, they were put into the other garden last April and it is more sheltered than here, I might use it for potatoes again this year but that is not good rotation management!

8 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Aha! So the seed frenzy has set in, rather than setting in?!!

Madcap said...

I've got to get going on this. And thanks for the reminder about rotation, too, I need to keep that in mind.

Unknown said...

You know the plastic cover on my cold frame ripped to. It wasn't snow load though, it was a cat jumping off the roof on top of it.

HomemakerAng said...

i enjoy reading about what you are planting! I have a garden green house too... I need to plant soon in it and tomorrow I can plant sugar peas in the ground (St. Patty's Day)

clairesgarden said...

I am indeed in a frenzy-there are going to be seeds all over the house too by the weekend.I hope the weather improves here, I was hoping to get started outside next week and have taken a week off work for this, even if I just prepare the beds and cover them over that would be good.

Wildside Musing said...

Well, Claire, enjoy yourself -- mind don't wind up threatened with a round of physical therapy like me!

grannyfiddler said...

we're still aching for a sight of the earth, let alone anything green here. and it snowed some more today. today is St Patrick's and my day for starting the first tomatoes, but it seems years till they can go out to the greenhouse.

GoGo said...

I have appreciated stubbling onto your page. I look forward to see what spring brings to your page!